[复制链接]
发表于 2021-3-24 17:43:52 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

已备演讲Globalization and Chinese Values of Harmony全球化与中国的和谐观

Globalization and Chinese Values of Harmony
全球化与中国的和谐观

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen:
女士们、先生们:

早上好。

Before Chinese and western civilization came into close contact, the Chinese people had always longed for a life depicted in traditional Chinese paintings. Those paintings present a harmonious coexistence of people and other life forms. Regarded as the essence of ancient Chinese philosophies, harmony has been deeply rooted in the minds of the Chinese people. On the one hand, it has contributed to the unique continuity of Chinese civilization. On the other, Chinese people became too much contented with their achievements to desire any further changes. As globalization deepens, it is bound to affect our ideal of harmony.

在中西文化紧密接触前,中国人一直渴望过上传统中国绘画作品中所描画的生活。这些绘画作品呈现了一个人与其它生物和睦共存的画面。和协调被视为传统中国人的哲学观精髓,它深深植根于每个人心中。一方面,它促成了中国文化独特的连续性;另一方面,中国人变得过于满足自己的成绩而不渴望进一步的改变。随着全球化进程的加深,它必定影响我们关于和的观念。

First globalization urges China to speed up its modernization, which threatens our regard for the harmony between Man and Nature. For instance. many dams and hydropower stations are being built for economic benefits at the expense of the well-preserved natural habitats. However, ecological malpractice of such kind goes against the notion of harmonious coexistence in ancient Chinese philosophies. More than 2000 years ago, long before the concept of environmental protection came into being, Dujiang Weir, a great irrigation project was built in southwestern China's Sichuan province. It succeeded both in controlling floods and in facilitating the agriculture without posing a threat to the environment.

首先,全球化促进中国加快现代化进程,这威胁到我们所关注的人与自然的和谐。举个例子,为了经济利益,很多水坝和水力发电站兴建起来,但这是以破坏原本保存完好的自然生态环境作为代价的。然而,这样破坏生态的不当行径是与古代中国哲学和谐共存的观念相违背的。两干多年前,环境保护的观念还远未出现前,都江堰,一个伟大的灌溉工程出现在中国西南部的四川省。它成功地控制了洪水泛滥,并且在对自然环境毫无威胁的条件下促进了农业。

Moreover, globalization has brought with it intense competition which threatens our regard for the harmony among people. Traditionally, moderation is a golden principle, presiding over inter-personal relations in China. Today, however, motivated to come to the top, some people become so self-centered that they choose to sacrifice love, friendship and even family ties.

此外,全球化带来了激烈的竞争,这威胁到我们所关注的人与人之间的和睦。传统上,中庸是一条金科玉律,主导着中国人人与人之间的关系。然而在今天,为了爬到高位,一些人开始变得非常以自我为中心,他们选择了牺牲爱情、友情甚至亲情。

Last but not least, diverse cultures have met in China as a consequence of globalization. Therefore, a clash of cultures becomes inevitable. Unfortunately, the past decades have witnessed a huge loss of cultural heritage in China. In cities like Beijing and Xi'an, hundreds of century-old Chinese-style houses are being demolished to make room for skyscrapers, shopping malls and eight-lane expressways

最后,全球化使多种不同文化在中国交织碰撞。因此,文化间的冲突变得不可避免。不幸的是,我们在过去的几十年目睹了中国文化遗产的极大损失。在北京和西安这样的城市里,几百座具有百年历史的中国传统老房屋被拆除,仅仅是为了腾出空间来盖摩天大楼、购物中心和八车道的高速公路。

From these examples, we see the disharmony brought about by globalization. Yet it is not globalization that is to blame, but rather our attitude. As long as we approach globalization with harmony in mind, its benefit will outweigh its cost. Take my hometown, Hangzhou, for example. Thanks to the strenuous efforts made by the municipal government in achieving eco- development, various kinds of water birds have returned to the West Lake, calling it home again after years of migration elsewhere. From the lake bank, we see skateboarders and trick cyclists showing off together with people flying kites and kicking shuttlecocks on the plaza nearby. Therefore, although they compose a picture quite distinct from traditional Chinese paintings, this picture conveys a modern sense of harmony in this era of globalization

从这些例子中,我们看到全球化带来了不协调。然而这不是全球化的过失,相反是我们态度的问题。只要我们以和谐的观念处理全球化问题,它将是利大于弊。就拿我的家乡杭州为例,杭州市政府大力促进生态经济发展,各种各样的水鸟又重新回到西湖,在多年迁移到别处之后重返故地。在湖边,我们可以看到附近广场上,滑板者和脚踏车的人在炫耀他们的技艺,还有人在放风筝和踢毽子。因此,虽然这个画面显然不同于中国传统绘画作品,但传达了在当今这个全球化时代中的现代和谐意识。

Ladies and gentlemen, to conclude, I would like to quote from British philosopher Bertrand Russell. In contrasting Chinese and Western civilizations, he observed, “The distinctive merit of western civilization is the scientific method; the distinctive merit of the Chinese is a just conception of the ends of life. It is these two that one must hope to see gradually uniting.” As we see the tremendous progress China has been making drawing on experience abroad, we may also expect the traditional Chinese value of harmony to enrich the world. I look forward to the time when Russell's prophecy comes true.

女士们先生们,我想引用英国哲学家伯特兰・罗素的观点来做个总结。关于中西文化的对比,他提到:“西方文化中最显著的价值是它的科学理论;中国文化的特色是它对生命结束的理解。这两种文化很有可能会逐渐合二为”我们看到中国利用国外经验取得巨大进步,我们也希望中国传统的和谐价值观能充实世界。我期待有一天罗素的预言能实现。

Thank you very much.
谢谢。

即席演讲
Host: The topic for your speech is.. Last July, a college student from Tsinghua University was killed in a mountain climbing accident. The accident brought back memories of a similar accident two years ago when five students from Peking University died while scaling a mountain in the Himalayas. How do you value the challenge that they set themselves?

你演讲的题⽬是去年七⽉,⼀个清华⼤学的学⽣在⼀次登⼭事故中丧⽣了。这次事故勾起了⼈们对于两年前⼀起类似事故的回忆――五名北京⼤学的学⽣在登喜⻢拉雅⼭途中丧⽣。对于他们这种⾃我挑战,你有什么看法?

张京: Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
女士们、先生们,早上好

In human history, many figures stood out from the rest due to their great courage in sacrificing themselves to overcoming the challenges. We all re member Marie Curie, who suffered from the radiation of the chemicals however. her sacrifice won her two Nobel Prizes. When the Iraqi war broke out, many reporters, regardless of their safety and health, went to the war front to bring back the first-hand information. I admire their courage. However, I dare not agree that college students should sacrifice their lives to set and overcome those extremely dangerous challenges.

在⼈类历史上,正是由于拥有⼀种⾃我牺牲、不畏挑战的巨⼤勇⽓使许多⼤⼈物能够从芸芸众⽣中脱颖⽽出。我们都还记得玛丽·居⾥夫⼈,她饱受化学物辐射的折磨,然⽽她的牺牲精神为她赢取了两个诺⻉尔奖。伊拉克战争爆发后许多战地记者不顾⾃⾝安危深⼊战争前线赢得了宝贵的第⼀⼿资料。我佩服他们的勇⽓。但是,我不敢苟同⼤学⽣牺牲⽣命来进⾏这样极为危险的⾃我挑战。

To my understanding, there are two basic reasons behind the deaths of [ those college students. First of all, they do not have a clear picture of their abilities. In other words, they overestimate their potentialities and, at the same time, underestimate the cruel conditions in those mountainous areas. With the advancement of science and technology, they could have gone through more professional trainings and be better equipped with the protective measures.

按照我的理解这些⼤学⽣罹难的背后有两个根本原因。⾸先,他们对⾃⼰的能⼒缺乏⼀个清晰的认识。换句话说,他们⾼估了⾃⼰的潜⼒,同时低估了这些⾼⼭地区严酷的⾃然环境。随着科学技术的进步,他们本来可以进⾏更多的专业训练,⽤更好的保护措施来装备⾃⼰。

Secondly, I believe those college students, who died in their trips to Mount Everest, lacked a basic sense of responsibility for the society as well as for their families. Ever since the first human being set out to conquer Mount Everest, few succeeded. Many failed. More are buried in the snowcaps forever. The deaths of the college students brought unimaginable grief to their friends, families and the universities. For the family. the parents years of efforts to bring up and cultivate the child now became vain and futile. For the society, it has lost six potentially intelligent and talented people to improve the progress of the society.

第⼆,我认为,这些在登珠峰途中丧⽣的⼤学⽣缺乏对于社会和家庭的基本责任感。⾃从⼈类第⼀次树⽴征服珠峰的⽬标以来成功者寥寥,⽽失败者为众。更多⼈永远葬⾝于皑皑的积雪之下。这些⼤学⽣的丧⽣给他们的朋友、家庭和学校带来了难以想象的悲痛。对于家庭来说,⽗⺟数⼗年来的抚育和培养的⼼⾎⽩⽩浪费,付之东流。对于社会⽽⾔,它失去了六个聪颖有才的有潜⼒的⻘年。这些⼈本来可以为社会进步作出贡献的。

Ladies and gentlemen, the famous American novelist, Ernest Hemingway once said, "Courage is grace under pressure." As college students, we should not go to extremes to prove to the world our courage. But rather, we can adopt other ways to present our courage more wisely and elegantly. In today's speech contest, we have seen many contestants presenting their courage to the audience and the Judges. I think we are no less brave than those mountain climbers.

⼥⼠们、先⽣们,美国著名⼩说家欧内斯特·海明威曾经说过:“勇⽓是压⼒之下的优雅。”作为⼤学⽣,我们不应该⽤极端的⽅式来向世界证明我们的勇⽓,但我们可以选择其他⽅法,更睿智更优雅地展⽰我们的勇⽓。在今天的演讲⽐赛中,我们看到了许多参赛选⼿向观众和评委展⽰了他们的精神⻛范。我想,我们和那些登⼭勇者同样勇敢。

My friends, life Is precious, We can only experience once. When you want to challenge yourself, do strike a balance between the sense and the sensibility. Again, I restate that I have great sympathy for those who died in the mountain climbing. And yet, I do not hope that we should cease our steps in further exploring and presenting our courage

朋友们,⽣命是宝贵的。我们只能经历⼀次。当你想挑战⾃我时,⼀定要在理智与情感之间做出权衡。我再⼀次重申,我⾮常同情这些登⼭活动中的罹难者。但是当然,我也不希望我们因此⽽在探索和展⽰我们的勇⽓上停滞不前。

Thank you very much. Thank you
⾮常感谢。谢谢你们。

问答环节
Judge: Thank you very much for your speech. I think you're right. Life is precious.But accidents happen. But when someone dies, pursuing a dream or an ambition, should it not be seen as something positive? What if he has not died? He will be a hero.
非常感谢你的演讲。我觉得你说得对。生命是宝贵的。但是,意外会发生。当一些人在追求梦想或志向的过程中丧生。这不应该被视为正面和积极的吗?假如他没有死呢?他会成为一个英雄的。

Zhang Jing: Thanks for your question, To be a hero is many peoples' dreams. However, we should be more aware of the price were going to be the heroes. For college students, their major test is to study to gain more knowledge, in order to prepare them for their future career development. In other words, if they went to, though we went to attend on those adventurous trips into the dangerous mountains, they may become a hero if they lived, however, if they had not died, their knowledge and the experience they gained through their studies may cultivate themselves to become the heroes of their careers. There are different roles of heroes we can choose to become, not necessarily as a mountain climber. For me, I have a dream that is to be a successful diplomat. This is especially difficult for a girl, I know, but I think it can also prove to the world that I am courageous and I am talented. And I can also become a heroine by pursuing my dream as being a diplomat, rather than go to attend those extremely dangerous mountainous trips. Thank you very much

谢谢您的提问。成为英雄是许多⼈的梦想。但是,我们应该进⼀步了解成为英雄的代价。对于⼤学⽣⽽⾔,我们的主要⼯作是学习和获取更多的知识,为我们将来的职业发展做好准备。换⾔之,尽管他们去踏上冒险之旅攀登这些危险的⾼⼭,那么,如果⽣还,他们可能也会成为英雄。不过,如果他们不死,他们在学业中获取的知识和经验也可能会把他们造就成事业上的英雄。我们可以选择不同的英雄⻆⾊,不⼀定是登⼭运动员。对我⽽⾔,我的梦想是成为⼀名出⾊的外交官。我知道,这对于⼥孩是尤其困难的,但我想这同样也可以向世界证明我是有勇⽓有才⼲的。⽽且我也会在追求我的外交官梦的过程中成为⼀名⼥英雄,⽽不是去征服那些极度危险的⾼峰。⾮常感谢。

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

1、请认真发帖,禁止回复纯表情,纯数字等无意义的内容!帖子内容不要太简单!
2、提倡文明上网,净化网络环境!抵制低俗不良违法有害信息。
3、每个贴内连续回复请勿多余3贴,每个版面回复请勿多余10贴!
4、如果你对主帖作者的帖子不屑一顾的话,请勿回帖。谢谢合作!

VIP你的影视英语人生
客服QQ
397839773 周一至周日:09:00 - 21:00
工作室地址:北京市朝阳区科技路88号现代城5号楼

英语我帮您网站:推荐最新适合英语学习的电影、美剧,提供欧美电影及电视剧音频剧本、台词笔记、视频字幕下载,鼓励大家充分利用:电脑、智能手机、IPAD等移动设备随时随地收听观看电影美剧、轻轻松松提高英语听力口语。

技术支持: 看电影学英语  © 2008-2021 英语我帮您

客服邮箱: {赞助会员发邮件必回复!}

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 15:22 , Processed in 0.135144 second(s), 32 queries .

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表